Thursday, June 17, 2010

What a Morning





I awoke quite early to a loud thud this morning and the usual sleepy dog missing from her bed. I headed out to the living room to find Cali climbing over the couch and jumping up on our new plantation shutters. The screen door was open and a bird had made its way into the living room. I was not ready to deal with this so early in the morning. This is usually something Tim takes care of but unfortunately he was already at work. If any of you know Cali you know that she will do anything for a bird. She has climbed chicken coops, swam too far out to sea, and recently ran away to a near by golf course (twice) to the duck pond all in pursuit of those stupid birds. She is the most well behaved dog until she is distracted by a bird and then shuts off all hearing to the outside world and more importantly her owners. So as I watched her jumping over the couch crashing into the shutters and nearly knocking off all glass items on the side table, yelling at her to stop was no use. I managed to get her outside where she continued to pound the window as the bird is now stuck in between the shutter and the window. I started to yell at the bird like I would the dog to make it stop fluttering in the shutter and realized quite quickly that the bird does not listen to you like a dog does most of the time. I grabbed a bowl and a cutting board to use as a lid to slide over the bowl and inched closer to the bird. (Why I am afraid of a small sparrow in my living room is beyond me) I realized that the bowl and cutting board idea was not a good one after about 20 sec. I managed to get the shutters open to have the bird fly into the dining room shutters. Now the dog has figured out that this is great fun and is slamming against the dining room window causing the bird to freak out and poop all over the place. I finally got the bird to fly out the original window that I opened.

This is a stark contrast in Cali from last week when she ripped off her entire foot pad. We think it happened when Tim took Cali for a bicycle ride and the asphalt was too hot. (A lesson to all dog owners and summertime heat) Her pad blistered and we had to end up cutting it off. Totally gross! So earlier this week she was not even in walking shape and was being pampered with iodine foot baths. I've never seen a dog willingly stick their foot in a bowl of water for 10 min. on end. She was soaking up all of the love. After the bird incident she has been put in the backyard for time out!

So I spent the remainder of the morning cleaning the windows inside and out, while ripping off a nail (I'm not that girlie but this one hurt) and forgetting that it was my parent's anniversary after the second call I made to my mom asking what to use to clean windows without streaks. She never mentioned a thing during the first call but during the second she asked, "Did you forget it was our anniversary today?" Oops!

No comments: